Northwestern Safety Information System (NSIS) is the University’s online safety data management tool used by Principal Investigators (PIs) to submit applications and registrations for review. NSIS builds a lab-specific Laboratory Safety Profile for each researcher and serves as an educational resource for PIs and laboratory workers.
Logging in from off campus
NSIS requires use of the Northwestern VPN for off-campus users.
Registering for NSIS (PIs Only)
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, your department, your anticipated date of arrival and a contact phone number and/or email address.
- The subject heading should read "NSIS Access Request."
- You will receive an email notification once you have been granted access to the system.
Registering for NSIS (Lab Workers)
- If you work in a research lab, please ask your Principal Investigator or Safety Designate to add you as a Lab Worker inside NSIS
- If you work inside a University clinical lab and are not part of NSIS, please talk with your supervisor to determine what safety training you need and register for the Research Safety certifications in myHR Learn.
Contact your nearest Research Safety office if you have any questions.
- Chicago Campus: 312-503-8300
- Evanston Campus: 847-491-5581