Lumen is the University’s online safety data management tool used by Principal Investigators (PIs) to submit applications and registrations for review. Lumen builds a lab-specific Laboratory Safety Profile for each researcher and serves as an educational resource for PIs and laboratory workers.
Registering for Lumen (PIs Only)
- Send an email to email@example.com (Subject heading: PI Requesting Lumen Access) with the following information:
- Principal Investigator’s full name
- Principal Investigator's netID
- Facility Name (if requesting a Core Facility account)
- Department(s) affiliated with the PI/Facility
- Main Lab building and room number
- Main Lab phone number
- Building(s) and room number(s) for any other rooms/labs belonging to the PI/Facility
- Will the PI/Facility use biological materials? (Y/N)
- Will the PI/Facility use radioactive materials? (Y/N)
Registering for Lumen (Lab Workers)
- If you work in a research lab, please ask your Principal Investigator or Safety Designate to add you as a Lab Member in Lumen
- If you work inside a University clinical lab and are not part of Lumen, please talk with your supervisor to determine what safety training you need and register for the Research Safety certifications in myHR Learn.
Contact your nearest Research Safety office if you have any questions.
- Chicago Campus: 312-503-8300
- Evanston Campus: 847-491-5581